Monday, September 27, 2010

Peace Corps Chapter 1 Capwa (finished in Bemba)

Hi America! So it's official I made it through training and swore in on Friday as a Peace Corps Volunteer! I really can't believe it has already been two months and I am done with training. Training was a great but very tiring experience. However last week we took our final language test, we cooked American meals for our home-stay families, we moved out and said goodbye to the Zambians that have been hosting us the last two months and we moved to Lusaka for our swear in ceremony. It was a weird experience as I was moving out of my home-stay families last Thursday. As I packed all of my things, said bye to my host- dad, sister, brothers, and exchanged our final gifts I couldn't believe that I had only known them for two months. They were almost like an "RA" in a college dorm, they taught me how to cook, how to clean, how to use a Brazier to heat my bath water and were always there if I had any problems. So although it was really sad to say goodbye to them, I promised I would visit the next time I was in town (probably after our community entry in January) and then wished me well. They also gave me parting gifts of a Zambian broom (no handle but shockingly effective), a pot and a wooden cooking spoon. The gifts were so sweet and thoughtful and things I will actually use in my village.
So we left our villages and moved to Lusaka for our big ceremony. Friday was the big day- SWEAR IN!! It almost felt like my college graduation. We all got dressed up, put on make up for the first time in Zambia (one of my male friends commented- "Kelsey you look so different today, I almost don't recognize you"- I took it as a compliment? ) and we were off to the Ambassador's house. His house was beautiful and as I told my parents looked like an American house in the middle of Zambia. There was real coffee, fried chicken, wonderful scones and I must say we all ate like we were going to move to an African village for two years- Oh wait, we are. So the ceremony was great, a few people made speeches in the local language, we took an oath to protect the U.S. , and we were officially sworn in as volunteers! I almost wish we had hats or something to throw in the air like graduation but instead we just clapped and took some great pictures next to the Peace Corps flag ( pictures to come soon). So the next day we hopped on a cruiser, drove 10 hours and finally landed in Luapula, my new home! So since being here we have been hanging out, enjoying some good movies for the first time since being in country, cooking on an actual stove and enjoying each others company. Today was a crazy day of shopping for EVERYTHING for our hut. From a bed frame and mattress, to pots, pans and nails we got as much as humanly possible as this will be the only time that a cruiser comes out to our site ( the rest of the time I will be carrying it on the back of my bike). So we are finally done, just with a few things left to get tomorrow before I move to my village for good!! I have mixed emotions as this will be the first time really living on my own and even more so living with people that don't speak my language but really I am also very excited. I am excited to learn more about myself, more about how I cope with living on my own, living with people so different than I am and living in and decorating/ renovating my very first home! As my mom said in her last letter to me "Your first house will always be a mud hut in Africa" which I think is very cool. So sadly that is all that is really new for now. Tomorrow I will officially start my "Community Entry" which means I am not allowed in the Provincial house until Thanksgiving and then after that until Christmas break. This is a time where I am supposed to not do so much "work" but really just get to know my village- get to know my neighbors, my counterparts and who i will work with and who I won't work with, and get settled in my hut and make it my home! So sadly I won't be able to update my blog until Thanksgiving time but I hope everyone is settling into Fall in the U.S. it is funny because we are coming into hot season here as October is supposed to be the "hottest month of all" ( i truly can't even imagine how it could get hotter than it is now but I guess I will find out!). So thank you to everyone who has e-mailed or facebooked me congratulating me on Swear in or just saying hello. I think about everyone often and although I might not be able to respond know that every e-mail or letter or postcard that I get means the world to me! They are little connections to home that make my day every time I get one so please keep them coming! So love to everyone back home, I think about you all often. Wish me good luck in the village and when I come back I am sure I will have many stories to tell! Love to everyone and miss you all very much!
Twalamonana ( see you later, more like talk to you later)
Kelsey